WHICH DOCUMENTS DO YOU NEED TO BRING WITH YOU TO CONCLUDE THE RENTAL AGREEMENT?
You will need identification documentation, your last three proof of income statements and where necessary a Wohnberechtigungsschein (a certificate proving your right to live somewhere) for the city of Erlangen
WHAT IS A WOHNBERECHTIGUNGSSCHEIN? WHERE DO I GET A WOHNBERECHTIGUNGSSCHEIN?
A Wohnberechtigungsschein is an official certificate. A tenant can use it to demonstrate their right to move into publicly-funded housing. The Wohnberechtigungsschein is issued by the housing authority. (1)
(1) Contact the municipal housing agency at the town hall (Rathausplatz 1, 4th floor, room no. 416 or 420) You can contact staff members on (+49 9131) 86-2506, 86-2598, 86-1586 or 86-1583. Contact them by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER DURING THE ACCOMMODATION HANDOVER?
During the accommodation handover, your consultative partners at GEWOBAU document the facilities of the flat and any potential issues. At the same time, you will receive a report with all of the meter readings. (1)
(1) Please look after this report carefully. It acts as a receipt and ensures that you are not liable for the listed faults or damages when you move out.
WHY DO YOU HAVE TO PAY A DEPOSIT TO GEWOBAU ERLANGEN?
The deposit serves as a guarantee for us, if we have outstanding claims relating to services not carried out. The deposit totals three months basic ren (1)
(1) You must pay the deposit within the first three months of the start of your contract. If you have complied with all of the obligations in your rental agreement when moving out, we will transfer the total amount back to you, including interest.
WHAT COSTS OTHER THAN THE RENT ARE STILL DUE TO YOU?
In addition to the basic rent and utility costs (1) that are to be paid to GEWOBAU, there are also heating and electricity costs to pay. Depending on the facilities of the flat, there may also be costs for cold and warm water, as well as for gas.
(1) Utility costs are costs that are incurred by the owner through use of the property. Included in utility costs are street cleaning, irrigation and drainage, chimney sweeping, refuse collection, property and indemnity insurance, garden maintenance, snow and ice removal.
BENEFITS OF CAR SHARING: THE REWARDS FOR SIGNING UP TO THE TENANTS' PORTAL.
You can make use of the cost-effective car sharing offers. You only pay for service costs. We cover the cost of the deposit, joining fee and membership fee for the first year for you! You can sign up here.
Step 1: To register, see the registration guidelines Step 2: Download the registration confirmation under “Documentation” Step 3: Application to car sharing club and submission of registration confirmation // what do you need to register with the car sharing club?
YOUR HOME AND THE NEIGHBOURS
WHY ARE HOUSE RULES NECESSARY?
In the house rules, we have outlined the most important rules to enable our tenants to coexist well with each other. The house rules apply to all tenants and are part of your rental contract (1)
(1) You will receive a copy of the house rules upon the conclusion of your rental agreement. You can find the house rules in the download area.
YOU WISH TO SUBLET. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER?
In principle, you are permitted to sublet your flat. You must have our approval to do so. More information is available in the tenants' portal. (1)
(1) In the tenants' portal, go to “Create message”. In order to sublet, you must pay an additional monthly charge of five Euros. Our consent to sublet initially applies for one year.
YOU NEED AN ADDITIONAL KEY. WHERE CAN I GET ONE?
Please contact us via the tenants' portal. Our housing complexes have central locking systems. You are therefore unable to have more keys made yourself.
YOU WISH TO MAKE STRUCTURAL CHANGES TO YOUR FLAT. YOU NEED TO CONSIDER THIS.
Structural changes (tiling work, replacing the bath or shower) are possible in principle. Please get in touch with us via the tenants' portal before starting any work.
YOU DETECT FAULTS IN YOUR FLAT, HOUSE OR RESIDENTIAL COMPLEX. WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
Please refer directly to our repair service team on the telephone number (+49 9131) 124 150. They will then deal with the issue.
YOUR TELEVISION RECEPTION IS POOR. THESE TELEPHONE NUMBERS CAN HELP.
You can report a fault at any time to Kabel Deutschland on the number +49 800 5266625, to M-Net on (+49 951) 4073911 or on +49 800 7080810 to M-Net Fibre Optic Connections.
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR ANNUAL UTILITIES COSTS BILL? WE CAN HELP.
Please get in touch with us via the tenants' portal. We will be happy to answer all of your questions.
YOU WISH TO BARBECUE ON YOUR BALCONY. IS THIS ALLOWED?
Barbecuing on your balcony is allowed in principle. However, you may only use an electric grill.
YOU WISH TO HAVE A PET IN YOUR FLAT. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER?
You may keep pets in principle. A prerequisite for this is written permission and a responsible attitude to looking after the animals. You do not need permission to keep small animals such as birds, hamsters or ornamental fish, for example. Dangerous, poisonous or large animals are categorically forbidden.
WHEN CAN YOU USE WASHING MACHINES OR TUMBLE DRYERS?
You may use washing machines and tumble dryers between the hours of 8am and 8pm. There are designated rooms and spaces available to you for drying.
HOW TO HEAT AND VENTILATE YOUR FLAT PROPERLY.
To achieve a good indoor climate in your flat, two things are necessary above all: Heat and ventilate sufficiently. This is the only way to prevent mould from developing. We have outlined the most important tips for you on a fact sheet.(1)
(1) On a fact sheet that you received with your rental contract, you will find important advice on the issue of “damp in the flat”.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO WITH BULKY REFUSE?
You have the opportunity to dispose of your bulky refuse twice a year. You can choose whether you want to dispose of the bulky refuse yourself or if you would like it to be collected by the council. (1)
(1) More information can be found on the City of Erlangen homepage or by phoning (+49 9131) 862014.
GOING ON HOLIDAY. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER?
Secure your flat before going away: Close all of the windows, unplug all electrical appliances and do not leave any devices on standby. Ideally, leave a contact number with a neighbour or friend, which you can be reached on in an emergency while on holiday.
HAVING VISITORS. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER?
You may invite visitors to your flat as often as you like. Please, however, take your neighbours into consideration. If somebody is living with you permanently, please inform us using the tenants' portal.
YOU’RE GETTING MARRIED. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER?
Congratulations! Please send us a copy of your marriage certificate. Let us know if your name needs to be changed on your bell or letterbox.
HOW TO TREAT YOUR NEIGHBOURS.
Neighbours should treat each other in a considerate manner. Try to resolve differences of opinion by having a friendly discussion. If a neighbour continually disturbs you, and talking does not resolve the issue, then please contact our customer service team using the tenants' portal. We will then find a solution together.
ARE GEWOBAU REPRESENTATIVES ALLOWED TO ENTER YOUR FLAT?
Your flat is your home. In certain instances, however, we will need access to your flat: to take meter readings for electricity or water or to carry out repairs, for example. Please also allow prospective tenants to visit your flat - only after a prior appointment has been arranged of course.
HOW TO ACT IN AN EMERGENCY.
In case of fire or an accident, please call the telephone number 112. Provide the following information: Who reported the emergency? What has happened? How many people are injured? Where did this take place?
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER WHEN LEAVING YOUR FLAT?
You must prepare a notice of termination signed by the tenant (signed by the tenants) and submit it to us. The legal notice period is three months. (1)
(1) Your account manager will send you a confirmation of the termination of the contract. In it they will explain the next course of action and arrange an appointment with you.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER WHEN CANCELLING YOUR PARKING PLACE/GARAGE SPACE?
You must prepare a notice of termination signed by the tenant (signed by the tenants) and submit it to us. The legal notice period is four weeks.
YOU WISH TO MOVE OUT OF YOUR SHARED HOME. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER?
If both tenants have signed the rental contract, it can then only be terminated by both tenants. We offer you the option to amend the rental contract. Please get in touch with us via the tenants' portal.
WHAT COSMETIC REPAIRS DO YOU NEED TO CARRY OUT?
Together, we agree what work needs doing, such as painting or putting up wallpaper, in a Provisional Acceptance agreement. We then also agree which repairs you need to carry out. These repairs should make the flat fully functional again.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO CONSIDER FOR THE ACCOMMODATION INSPECTION?
Fundamentally, you should leave the flat in such a condition that the new tenant can move in without any issues. We have created a check list with the most important points for you. (1)
(1) The check list: Have you removed all of your furniture? If nothing had been agreed in writing, have you removed any additional fittings or undone any structural changes? Has any damage been repaired that was not caused by normal wear and tear? Have all of the agreed cosmetic repairs been carried out? Have you returned all of the keys you were given to the flat when you accepted it?
WHEN DO YOU GET YOUR DEPOSIT BACK?
The law requires a reimbursement within six months of the termination of the rental agreement. We usually pay the deposit back significantly sooner than this.